Thursday, January 08, 2009

I know that it's not a good idea when I think instead of sleeping but my ramblings recently reminded me about why I do what I do...

I love what I do and I passionately believe that we are making an incredible difference here in Leeds. However, it isn't enough and we need to do more. We need to find a way to work smarter, to focus ruthlessly on standards and outcomes for our young people. At the heart of this is the vision, the values and the beliefs that shape Education Leeds as a truly brilliant organisation... a commitment to people and to relationships, a belief in their potential and a relentless focus on doing whatever it takes to achieve great things and to release the magic. We all have such enormous potential to change the world for the better. Not necessarily in big chunks but in small pieces that together achieve great things... in bite-size pieces that can move mountains.

It's funny but after nearly eight years here in Leeds I am still unconvinced that we all live, eat and breathe this agenda; that we all thrive on what we are doing and don't see it simply as a job. That we get to work and think that we are so lucky to be doing this and serving the young people of Leeds and don't see it as a chore. That we all come to work everyday determined to make a difference and don't spend our time on the mobile phone or thinking about what we will be doing at the end of the day.

This job we do is so important to the health and well-being of the city and if you don't believe in what you are doing you should go and find something where you do pasionately believe and live that dream instead. Why waste your life doing something that doesn't excite you, that doesn't stimulate you, that doesn't make you think WOW aren't I lucky to be here!

Chris

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris

Great post. I got out of teaching 20 or so years ago because on our staff of 60 odd people there were only two of us that gave a monkeys about the job. For the rest it was a sideline or a way of paying the mortgage.

I think there is a tremendous risk in focussing 'ruthlessly on standards and outcomes' for young people. Those things are set by others. The locus of control is held by them. We should focus on young people and on helping them aspire and dream. It is about 'being the best I can be or living with the consequences' - not pursuing politically contrived standards and outcomes.

Here is a question for your team:

Will your life be a reflection of your environment or a reflection of your vision of how you want the world to be?

You can get more here: http://tinyurl.com/dzukd4

Such a shame that procurement stupidity meant I couldn't tender to do some management training with your team. It would have been great.

It is just good to know that you still have such a passion for the fight. We must meet sometime!

Mike