Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I have been managing change for the last twenty five years and over those years these are the biggest mistakes I've made in managing change -- and the lessons I've learned on the way...

Mistake Number 1
: I didn't understand the critical importance of people.

Lesson learnt: Organizations don't change. People do -- or they don't.

Mistake Number 2
: I didn't appreciate that people throughout any organisation have different reactions to change

Lesson learnt: Some people are more "ready for change" We need encourage the early adaptors and champions.

Mistake Number 3: I treated transformational change as an event, rather than a mental, physical and emotional process.

Lesson learnt: Large-scale organizational change usually triggers emotional reactions -- denial, negativity, choice, tentative acceptance, commitment.

Mistake Number 4
: I wasn't totally honest with colleagues.

Lesson learnt: Communicate openly and honestly.

Mistake Number 5
: I didn't carefully "set the context" for change.

Lesson learnt: Colleagues need to know the vision, goals, and strategy for any new arrangements.

Mistake Number 6
: I tried to manage transformational change with the same strategies used for incremental change.

Lesson learnt: Continuous improvement is linear, predictable, logical, and based on a progressive acceleration of past performance. Transformational change is none of these things.

Mistake Number 7
: I forget to negotiate the new "agreement" between the boss and his colleagues.

Lesson learnt: A new relationship needs to develop, based on mutual trust and respect.

Mistake Number 8
: I used to believe that simple communication engages colleagues.

Lesson learnt: We must learn the importance of behaviour-based communication as a requirement for leading change.

Mistake Number 9
: I underestimated the potential of my colleagues.

Lesson learnt: Trust in the innate intelligence, capability, and creativity of your colleagues and people will simply amaze you.

These lessons have helped me build something extra-ordinary at Education Leeds; a unique, award winning company that has transformed education and learning.

Chris

2 comments:

Mike Chitty said...

If you think making change is hard you should try making progress.

Change is inevitable. Progress is not.

Chris Edwards said...

I agree and the interesting thing is, Mike, that wherever I have worked in Wolverhampton, North Yorkshire, York and Leeds we have made great progress. I believe that the real keys to success lie in developing great leadership everywhere, valuing, empowering and trusting talented people and building strong and effective partnerships with those who share your passion and commitment. Alongside this wherever I have worked we have built strong performance management systems to ensure that outcomes drive the business and strong resource management systems so that every thing we have at our disposal is used to make a difference where it matters... in my business in terms of better outcomes for children and young people.
Chris